Whatsapp is most popular messenger service for mobile devices. It is available for almost all mobile operating systems so that many people are attracted towards it. At present it is estimated that more than 600 million users around the globe using Whatsapp. Whatsapp has an easy user interface with so many awesome features. Recently Facebook acquired Whatsapp. Now they made few changes in features and increased privacy like Hiding Last seen, Hiding Display Picture and status. In this article I will discuss some of the most useful tips and tricks for Whatsapp.
1. Turn off automatic image/video download
By default when someone sends us any media file (photo or video) it will be automatically downloaded and will add instantly in the album app. Sometimes it added unwanted images or videos on album. This is also cost your internet data without any notice. But you need not worry about that because you can easily stop auto download media files in Whatsapp.
- Open Whatsapp application and go to OPTIONS > SETTINGS > CHAT SETTINGS > MEDIA-AUTO DOWNLOAD. Look the screenshot below you will find the options. Just open all of them and uncheck them one by one to stop auto download media files.
2. Hide Last Seen and Profile image
Although last seen option is quite useful for us but some people also don't want it for some reason. Like when you want to hide yourself from some of your annoying friends. After Facebook acquiring Whatsapp they update Whatsapp app and added some new privacy features. Hide last seen is one of them. Now you can hide yourself from anyone or only from your listed contacts.
- Open Whatsapp app and Go to SETTINGS > ACCOUNT > PRIVACY > LAST SEEN. You can find 3 options, EVERYONE, MY CONTACTS and NOBODY. Choose hide yourself from everyone, My Contacts for hide yourself from those who are in your contact list. Later if you want to enable seen feature choose Nobody.
3. Share ZIP, PDF, EXE, RAR files via Whatsapp
You can share all formats of images and videos on whatsapp. But normally it won’t allow you to sharing other files like documents, ppt, zip, exe files etc. However by using a trick you can share any files other than video, image and audio files on Whatsapp. Here's How-
- First Install CloudSend and Dropbox on your Android Smartphone. To Download CloudSend - Click here and Dropbox - Click here
- Now open CloudSend and allow it to link Dropbox with CloudSend.
- Now if you want to share any file on whatsapp first Share it to Cloudsend. Cloudsend will upload the file to your dropbox account and will provide you a link for this file.
- Now Share the link to your friends on WhatsApp.
- You can also share this link to your friends on any other messenger application.
If you want to hide your profile image go to SETTINGS > ACCOUNT > PRIVACY. There you can find STATUS and PROFILE PHOTO
Go to SETTINGS > ACCOUNT > PRIVACY. Here you can find privacy settings of who can see LAST SEEN, STATUS, PROFILE PHOTO, and BLOCKED CONTACTS. You can select them and choose your privacy settings according to your needs. Like if you want to hide your profile image from everyone then click on Profile photo then click everyone.
5. Lock WhatsApp with password protection
You may have some personal chat on whatsapp and you don’t want others to read those chat. But Whatsapp doesn’t require any login details so that there is a chance anyone can easily access in your whatsapp and can read your personal chats if they use your mobile.
To lock your Whatsapp with password download an app name called App locker from Google Play. By this app you can lock any app with password in your smartphone.
6. How to Backup and Restore Whatsapp chats
On android Smartphone, to backup your whatsapp chats conversations go into Settings > Chat settings and tap Backup conversations to create a backup. But this will not backup your whatsapp media files, if you want to backup whatsapp media files you have to copy the media folders from /sdcard/WhatsApp/Media.
Whatsapp won’t allow restoring conversations directly. So if you want to restore a backup you have to uninstall and reinstall whatsapp. After reinstall when you open Whatsapp again it will say you to restore most recent backup. Then follow the procedures and your all conversations will be back.
7. How to use multiple WhatsApp accounts on Android
You can use multiple Whatsapp account on android smartphone by SwitchMe app. By this app you can create separate profiles on your smartphones for different account, apps, data and system settings. This is one of the most useful tricks for many users who uses dual sim support phone and want to use separate whatsapp accounts.
8. Create Shortcuts for important contacts
You can create a shortcut for your favorite Whatsapp contact or groups on your homescreen. Press and hold on the group or contact you want to create a shortcut for. When Pop Up menu will appear just click on Add Conversation Shortcut. It will create a shorcut of this group or contact on your homescreen.